This is from the year 2000, but 13 years later the ferry is still
going strong. Here is something about its history.
An impressive list of dignitaries was on hand for the inauguration, most of
whom were key players in making the ferry a reality. We present here only
those who took part in the formal inauguration ceremonies, and in the order
they spoke to the huge crowd assembled.
- The Hon. Vildo Marin served as Master of Ceremonies for the inauguration.
- Mr. Juan Guerrero, Chairman of Sarteneja, gave the welcome address.
- Mr. Ismael Westby, Chairman of Progresso, addressed those assembled.
- Mr. Orlando Olivera, Chairman of Copper Bank, also addressed the crowd.
- Mr. Oscar Copo, Chairman of Caledonia, expressed his community's thanks.
- Mr. Mario Narvaez, Mayor of Corozal Town, spoke for the Corozal Town area.
- Hon. Valdimar Castillo spoke to all assembled on behalf of Corozal District.
- Mr. José Montalvo, manager of Belize Sugar Industries, Ltd. (BSI), gave some history of the ferry. BSI's donation to the project included the boat itself, which was once a sugar barge that moved sugar on this very river. The work was done at the shipdock at Libertad, refurbishing it into a large, safe ferry.